Monday, March 8, 2010

How I understand Acculturation....

Acculturation is my capacity to assimilate different cultures under uncertain circumstances; this transit endows me with the skills to integrate and share my language and culture as well. Therefore, this process of adaptation is mainly carried out through communication.
I might grant that language is the pass to endure one´s stay in another culture; due to the fact that it is the one basic skill to survive the world as it presents itself; for good or evil. Besides, along with the process of adapting my ego to the culture of the target language, I should be humble enough to redo some learning and thinking on communicative skills such as writing and reading, and not only words but symbols and signs of the L2 (target language). Somehow, during this journey, common sense is also overdeveloped in such positive ways such as the willpower to overcome barriers that keep me from expanding my vision of the humankind united as one with the Universe. Consitently, I turn into a more respectful and joyful traveler. It is like possessing a VIP pass to be wecomed anywhere one chooses to go.

randall gonzalo azofeifa.

1 comment:

  1. Randall! What's up? How's your VIP pass? I like that metaphor. It's a strong one, and I believe in it whole-heartedly. How do we teach others to have it and to use it?

    ReplyDelete